Tips for a smooth moving process: part 2
In part one of our tips for a Smooth Moving Process, you learned how to manage your household details and sort through your packing. There are just a few more steps to take to help ensure your journey to your new home is as easy as possible.
Follow the below checklists to finish covering all your bases and you are almost guaranteed a smooth, trouble free move.
- Return all library books.
- Clean out your locker at any club you are leaving.
- Determine how to transfer your children to a new school, if required.
- Return items you’ve borrowed to friends, and collect any you’ve lent.
- Mail or e-mail change of address notices to family members, friends, and office contacts.
- If needed, transfer medical and dental records, and fill prescriptions.
- Change the address on your driver’s license.
- Change the billing address for credit cards.
- Change the address for banking statements, even if you only receive online statements.
- Leave a record of security codes for new tenants.
Insurance and Legal Matters
- Visit your lawyer and ensure all documents are signed.
- Notify your insurance company well in advance of the move and ask them to review your policy.
- Transfer insurance to your new home, or acquire new insurance.
- Review your moving company’s insurance policy. If it doesn’t cover as much as you’d like it to, obtain your own.
- If you are currently renting a house or apartment, give written notice to the landlord – typically one month is required.
- Have all keys to your old home delivered to your lawyer or Realtor.
Assess if there are specifics items unique to your home that are not mentioned above, for example if you run a business out of your home additional notifications will be required, and complete these steps accordingly.
By completing the checklists outlined in both parts one and two, you are sure to have a much smoother move and an easy welcome into your new home!
For more tips on how to have a smooth moving process, contact us at email@example.com
Ps. Did you know that we offer our clients free moving totes?